Please help us reach temple members in need of caring
(for example, health challenges and life cycle events)
by using this NOTIFICATION form.
Information is kept confidential!
Since 1984, Temple Israel Sisterhood’s Anne Zoss Caring Community Fund has sponsored Temple Israel’s Caring Community.
Caring Community addresses the unique needs of our congregants and our Akron neighbors. Congregants of all ages are welcome to volunteer for providing services through the Caring Community.
Co-Coordinators: Carol Blum & Audrey Baker
Consultants: Eileen Schonfeld & Zippy Silverman
Caring Community Services
The Caring Community provides the following:
- Visits our congregants in their home, hospice, hospital and nursing home facilities.
- Provides food and clothing to congregants and our Akron neighbors.
- Provides information about Reform Judaism practices for Shiva, mourning, and funeral traditions.
- Visits or contacts family members prior to funeral.
- When trained volunteers are available, offers to set up home for Shiva.
- Provides some paper and storage supplies, desserts, meals and beverages.
- Maintains contact with family or individual for at least a year.
Community Service and Resources
- Offers information about community resources, programs and agencies.
- Supports Temple Israel programs to enhance our congregants’ and neighbors’ well-being.
- Provides healthy snacks, backpacks, school supplies, uniforms and warm weather clothing to
- Leggett Community Learning Center
- International Institute
- Access Inc.
- Head Start of Akron
- Temple congregants
- Provides summer camp or preschool tuition scholarships to Mandel ECE at Shaw Schultz J.C.C.
Gives flowers, greeting cards, holiday sweets and grocery store gift cards to Temple congregants in need for the High Holidays, Hanukkah, Purim and Pesach.
- Provides free taxi rides to seniors for rehabilitation, medical and therapy appointments, for attending Temple Israel religious services or Temple events (once a month on an emergency basis).
- Provides food and clothing to families as needed in emergencies.
Donations to the Anne Zoss Caring Community Fund
Mrs. Zoss’s family established The Anne Zoss Caring Community Fund in memory of her outstanding achievements in promoting the beliefs and programs of the Temple Sisterhood. We welcome your generous contributions to Caring Community. For Caring Community to continue to offer their assistance to our Temple Israel families and our Akron neighbors, please send your donation (checks only please).
Mail check payable to:
Anne Zoss Caring Community
c/o Temple Israel
91 Springside Drive
Akron, OH 44333
If you are donating in honor of someone, please include that information and the recipient’s address for an acknowledgement from Temple Israel.
For information about opportunities to volunteer, please contact:
- Carol at 330/352-2645
- Audrey at 330/644-4143
- Eileen at 330/867-6289
You can also use the Caring Community’s contact form to get a response by email. If you wish, you can provide a telephone number to get a call.